Sunday 4 January 2015

Film day - Into the Woods

My mom treated my sister and I to a movie day and we went to see Into the Woods. I've been waiting for this film since 2013 when it was announced that the movie is going into production and the wait has been worth it.

The film stars Johnny Depp as the very creepy Wolf  and I was intrigued by the styling of the character. No prosthetics were used in the wolf make-up but the facial hair was styled to bring wolfish elements to his face. After debating on why he was left as human as possible, I did some Google research. It seems like I'm not the only one disturbed by the out-of-period costume and confirmed my suspicion that this design was to portray the wolf as a sexual predator. The Wolf's scenes were unsettling and it will take a while for me to see Depp as a benevolent guy again.


I particularly enjoyed the witch's (Meryl Streep) make-up. Both her aging make-up and her young, beautfying make-up was inspiring and I am keeping an eye out for looks inspired by the witch's make-up.


While we're on the subject of inspired looks, I found this beautiful Rapunzel make-up tutorial by Teni Panosian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSFs1AdY2Cw . Go check out how awesome she did the braid. It's perfect for layered hair and I'm planning on picking up some small hair bands on my next trip to the store.

This film exceeded my expectations and I am now anxious for the DVD release.

P.S. Go read what the costume designer, Colleen Atwood, herself had to say about the wolf's costume.
http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/2014/12/johnny-depp-into-the-woods-wolf-costume

No comments:

Post a Comment